Patient's Guide to Heart Transplant Surgery
Rules for Medications
- Learn both the generic and brand names of each medication: often the generic names are written first and the brand names are in parentheses.
- Take all of your medications precisely as directed by your doctor. Try not to miss any doses and try to stick with your prescribed schedule.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, do not take both the missed dose and the next dose, only take one dose.
- Do not take other medications unless they have been prescribed by, or discussed with one of the transplant doctors/nurses. This is especially true for over-the-counter drugs or herbal supplements bought without your doctor's prescription.
- Store all of your medications away from heat and direct light. Do not keep medicines in the bathroom cabinet since heat and moisture can cause deterioration.
- Keep your medications in their original containers since the label on the container always shows the expiration date, the prescribing doctor, the original prescription date, and the direction for taking the medication.
- Keep all medications out of reach of children.
- If you want more information about your medication, ask your doctor or one of the nurse coordinators.
> Return to Medications