Patient's Guide to Heart Transplant Surgery
Getting a Heart Transplant: What's Involved
There are five steps involved in getting a heart transplant.
A team of health-care professionals will do the following:
- Find out if you are healthy enough to receive a new heart.
- Find out if you are sick enough to need a new heart.
- Prepare you for your operation. This can take a long time, and there is no guarantee that a heart will be found.
- Perform a heart transplant operation.
- Help you stay healthy after your heart transplant.
> Next: Before Surgery: Are You a Good Candidate for Heart Transplant?